Saturday, April 12, 2008

Let's Talk About Money, Honey...


A wise person should have money in their head, but not in their heart.
Jonathan Swift (1667-1745)

His money is twice tainted: taint yours and taint mine.
Mark Twain (1835-1910) U.S. humorist, writer, and lecturer.

Money can't buy happiness; it can, however, rent it.
Unknown Source

Anyone can be great with money. With money, greatness is not a talent but an obligation. The trick is to be great without money.
Unknown Source

Lately I've been thinking a lot about money. Who hasn't lately? Greenbacks may be what makes the world go 'round but lately we've been on a repetitive tilt and not a silent rotation.

A friend confided to me that her baby's special formula (that he must take) was $34's a week ago. Due to rising prices in every venue around the country formula prices have gone up too. This week she paid $44.45's a can. Yes. I said per can.

We owe a bundle of money in taxes this year. Yep. We do. State and federal Uncle Sam's do not discriminate. They want a fair cut.

For five years we've poured every resource into giving our children a healthy and smart start. Frequently I joke with people that we've grown the kids from the ground up. That takes some major resources.

So it is what it is.

One day Brett and I will be 80, sitting on a long front porch, rocking in matching wood rockers. Cars will speed pass the house and we'll comment on dangerous, young drivers. We may laugh about how easy people have it 2054. Smiling we will reminisce about all the times we said, "we'll never be in this situation" and laugh about all the times we suddenly were ....

By then our children will be grown with children of their own. Their children may be parents too. We'll proudly talk about all the delightful people who came down the family line because of us.

This is hope. Hope that tomorrow is another day. That better times are yet to come. In moments that seem impossible it is hope that pulls us through.

We will pay our taxes. Pay our bills. Willingly or unwillingly we will pay the ever increasing gasoline prices that trickle into groceries and clothing. We will because we are grown ups. To provide and care for (against all odds) is what adults do for those who depend upon them.

A week or so ago Brett and I were listening to the radio. The announcer was encouraging everyone to come out on Saturday and attend a big rally to raise money for MD. Off the cuff Brett grumbled, "That's funny. I was going to have a big rally at our house on Saturday to raise money for ME." Together we laughed.

That is also what people do. At least people like Brett and me. When life seems too difficult ... too exhausting .... too much ... we laugh. In spite of it all ... we laugh.

Far greater than money is the ability to remain a little idealistic, to keep a sense of humor and most of all ... to recognize the blessings money cannot buy.

As for our kids, I want them to stay kids for as long as they can. Our job is to teach them the value of a dollar while also sheltering them from the truth of what that dollar often represents.

A senator or legislature (whatever) commented the other day that Americans should be excited to pay their taxes. After all, we have freedom and all the liberties that come with it.

It is hard to be excited to pay taxes when most Americans are barely making ends meet. Though I can believe paying taxes may make some Americans (cough, cough) exciteable.

Happy April 15th! Good luck.

Psssst! Can I borrow a stamp?

4 comments:

Juliette said...

We're not alone! Our conversations lately have been on money, too.

I just love reading your blog. Your little ones are so adorable.

Julie

karinco said...

Well, I can hardly say I'm excited to pay taxes although we are getting a refund. I'm probably the only person who gets mad about a refund because I consider it bad planning on my part. I would much rather have that money earlier in the year but I never seem to claim the right exemptions. One year I got really close and about broke even on Federal but then I owed a bundle on State. Go figure! All in all I suppose a refund is better then a balance due.
Wait.....this isn't about me. Sorry you owe money and I hope it isn't too much of a bite. At least you and Brett have a good sense of humor about it. I kind of like his idea for the rally! lol

Karen

The Phamily Matriarch said...

I'm sorry I missed your birthday! Happy Belated Birthday, sweetie. Sounds like you had a fun day at the zoo.

Luckily, we got a refund this year. It'll go to our first airplane vacation for the kids. :)
Mickey can't wait to get on one. Fun!

Hope all is well. I send you a stamp. LOL

~Jaclyn~

Greg said...

Great blog entry! U.S. society is eat up with consumerism which has unfortunately put us all were we are today. We will work our way out of it although I do believe that times will get tougher. Hang in there! I will remember to laugh next time I hear an aweful story on the economy! :)