Sunday, April 20, 2008

Running Around Town

Friday is a busy day. After dropping Ben off at school, Callie and Donovan spend the day with me running errands. This gives Brett (who works nights) a full eight hours to peacefully sleep .


At Michael's we look for paper to finish the kids birthday scrapbook (their birthday is not until June).

The kids each pick out a pair of sunglasses. We remember to choose a pair for Ben too.

An elderly woman laughs when the kids "ahhhed" and "oohed" over the eye level candy display. When a lane opens she insists we go in front of her. She remarks, "You have such cute kids."

The check out lady asks, "Can I give them a cookie?"

"Sure. Thank You."

Pre-wrapped cookies suddenly appear in Donovan and Callie's hands.

At SAMS we stop at the bakery. I have been asked to bring a cake to the hospital on Monday. Pink and blue booties adorn it. March of Dimes, March for Babies will be skillfully written across the center.

Callie and Donovan introduce themselves to the lady helping me with my order.

"Hi, I'm Donovan. This is my sister Callie." He jerks a thumb towards his sister.

"Hello, I'm Callie. We are running errands. Mommy bought us sunglasses. Mine are pink. His are orange."

Smiling the lady responds warmly, "You are both the cutest kids. How sweet." She turns to me. "Can I give them a cookie?"

I nod. She disappears. When she returns she offers a plate of chocolate chip and snicker doodle cookies. "Which one would you like?"

Donovan picks a Snicker Doodle. Callie chooses a chocolate chip cookie. We all thank the kind lady.

We stop to eat lunch. Several employees stop by our table to chat with the kids. I slurp down my cup of soup and the kids graze through sandwiches.

After a lengthy conversation with Donovan one waitress hands him a sticker. "You are both so cute I could stick you in my pocket and keep you."

Callie giggles. "We are too big to fit in your pocket."

After picking Ben up we head to the library. Old rentals are returned. The kids sit down around a small table. I skim through the children's section looking for books the kids will like.

Callie begins chatting with a lady shelving books. "Hi, my name is Callie. What is your name?"

Smiling the lady stops what she is doing and answers. "My name is Nog."

"Oh, that is a very pretty name." Callie bats her eye lashes and smiles.

"Thank you."

Callie's face twists in concentration as she tries to think of something else sweet to say. "Once I had a puppy. His name was Nog Nog. He liked to drink water from a bowl."

Laughing the lady turns to me. "Your children are very kind. Can I give them coloring sheets? I'll get them some crayons."

So the kids color while I finish making book selections.

At check out the kids introduce themselves to all of the librarians and receive stickers.

Seriously. By the end of the day we acquired four cookies, five stickers, three coloring pages/crayons, and an invitation to skip in line. Not to mention we had many opportunities to practice our manners.

At bedtime the children go to sleep without protest. That is my freebie. Enough of a reward to run around town with them all day again .... some time.

I am so exhausted by the day's end that I go to bed early too. "ZzzzzzzzzzzZ"



















5 comments:

karinco said...

That is soooo cute! It looks like they're on to something. hehehe
Methinks you need to take them to Zales or Kay Jewelers! lol

Darcy @ m3b said...

Ha! Karen took my idea. Ride this cuteness thing! Take 'em to the mall. ;)

This was a cute story. It's hard to believe they will be starting K this year. We're doing preK this year, but hope to be ready for K in Spring or Summer of 09.

You have beautiful kids. I can't believe how much D looks like hubby and C looks like you in those pics.

Juliette said...

I just love your blog. I really enjoy seeing what your precious little kiddos are up to now.

If you want to play along...I've tagged you. You can view the rules on my site http://ryanandhispuppies.blogspot.com.

Julie

The Phamily Matriarch said...

What a great post! I know why your kids were just given things...they are adorable, who could resist?

You racked in the gifts, huh? At this rate, who knows what other things may come to you...keep running errands. ;)

Anonymous said...

test