Tuesday, January 15, 2008

You Don’t Always Get What You Want….



For several hours I prepared a scrumptious roast, gravy, sweet potato casserole, veggies, crescent rolls, a festive fruit salad, and assorted sweets. Our family gathered together around the dining table to enjoy this feast.

Then the complaining started. One child after another pointed out some detail that did not suite. I tried to ignore them.

“Momma,” Donovan pointed to “seeds” in his green beans, “why do the beans have seeds? I don’t like seeds.”

Because that is how beanstalks grow, Donovan. Seeds are planted in the ground and bean sprouts erupt into dozens of green beans. They are bundled up, brought to farmer’s markets, or sent to stores with “seeds” inside them.

Callie followed more cleverly. “Is that a nut? When I was a little girl I told my mommy I didn’t like nuts. Maybe I should push it away.”

Nearly cracking a tooth I explain. “I like nuts. A pecan grove used to cover our backyard when I was growing up. Pecans are my favorite.”

I notice Benjamin spitting out his roast. He moves on to another choice.

Now I am sneering. “When I was younger I volunteered at a food bank. Children all over the world sometimes get very little to eat. They do not get food piled up high on their plates like you do. They go to bed and their tummies are still hungry."

Brett mentioned Mickey Mouse’s Christmas Carol. “Remember when Mickey’s whole family had to cut up one tiny pea? That was all they had to eat? It wasn’t very much was it?”

Donovan cocked his head to one side. “I don’t like peas.”

Sighing heavily I add, “Some kids would love a plate of peas to eat because their tummies never feel full.”

Callie chews a mouthful of potatoes thoughtfully. “You don’t always get what you want, Donovan … But sometimes you also don’t get what you need.”

3 comments:

Darcy @ m3b said...

Sometimes I wonder if my kids will ever appreciate my home-cooked meals. For now, it's McDonald's that receives their greatest blessings.

Despite my sauce that is now on it's 4 generation.

*sigh*

karinco said...

I read your blog after having just finished Subway for dinner and I am soooo jealous. I promise not to complain about the seeds or the nuts (even though I don't like nuts myself) :)

Callie is a hoot with some of the comments she makes.

Karen

The Phamily Matriarch said...

I don't like seeds, peas or nuts either (well, I'm allergic to the latter two). Thanks for reminding me that I shouldn't be so picky with other items that I *can* eat and rather not. We are fortunate and blessed, aren't we?

Callie is one smart gal!

J-Bug
PS. Your dinner did sound scrumptious! I'm in!