Friday, January 4, 2008

Wordy Apparel


Donovan found silly putty inside his stocking. A wonderful, stretchy blob of gum. Something useful to pull, tug, bounce, and adhere to surfaces.

Not once has it called it silly putty. He smashes it flat, admires its thickness, and rolls it in a ball. "Momma, look at my Silly Lilly Pad".

Indeed. Silly Lilly Pad is what the other children call it too. When I call it silly putty I am corrected. "No. It is my Silly Lilly Pad."

That is not the only re-named object floating around our house. Kids live in a world that they try to understand. When something does not make sense, they do their best to make sense of it.

Callie loved singing Christmas carols. Driving around town I smiled as she belted out her own rendition of "Deck the Halls".

"Deck the Halls with bows and holly. Fa la la la la, la la la la. Now is the time to feel all jolly. Fa la la la la, la la la la. Now we down our yellow barrels. Fa la la la la, la la la la."

Beautiful girl with her darling voice. She made the song her own. She created new lyrics, equally meaningful, sang with such passion, but in her words.

Benjamin is just as delightful. Mentally words are converted by his thesaurus for 4 year olds. Soon the other children adopt his words too.

On a road trip in the car he was watching "Curious George". To hear it, he wore headphones. At some point while playing he dropped them on the floor. "Momma, I need my headies back. Please."

Donovan plays with a"Silly Lilly Pad".

Callie sings about a barrel.

Benjamin wears headies.

I love that at such a young age they try to make sense of their surroundings. With a sharp intellect they squint their eyes and look around. Smiling in satisfaction they come to an acceptable conclusion.
Please check out part B to this blog at http://nowweregettingsomewhere.blogspot.com/ to read more about The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and their author.

5 comments:

karinco said...

Oh I love it! I thought I was the only one who made up new words. lol

I also love, love, love silly putty. I totally forgot about that stuff. hmph! So much fun!

I'm still laughing at the fact that even at my age I resort to 'making up' words as I 'Mr. Magoo' my way through the world! lol

Karen

Unknown said...

Isaac sings, "Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way... Old McDonald horsie ride... hey!!"

Also chapstick here is "lips". not sure how that happened. But makes for an interesting conversation at the store. :)

Kara

RGnEsMom said...

There is almost nothing in the world I love better than hearing my kids' "kidspeak"....it makes my day most days. Adorable....

The Phamily Matriarch said...

I love this post! Mickey and Callie would make a great duo singing their own duets. He loves to rewrite all the songs. He's been doing this since itty bitty and we just love it! Totally cute!

Funny, we sometimes call LG "Silly Lily Pad". ;)

Jac

JAMIE'S CREW said...

de-lurking here. You don't me, but I linked to you from someone else.

My singletons and my twins all did the word inventions too. A family favorite from my singleton is: underpits (underarms and arm pits). My twin daughter loved straw-bee-a's with the last syllable being the long A sound. At the moment my twin boy's invented word escapes me.

I did chuckle reading through your last 2 posts about silly putty, Christmas Carols and taking the Christmas tree down.

Thanks for giving a total stranger a few laughs!