Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Tree Undressing

Down comes the tree. Decorations and glitter again held captive in tight packages. Boxed away for another year.

Undressing the tree today was especially hard for the kids. I prepared them days in advance. Sadly, I was not taken seriously.

"Kids, in a few days the tree is coming down. No more Christmas decorations until next year. It will all go into the basement."

Callie laughed at me. "No way, Mom!"

Donovan taunted me. "We need to put up more decorations."

Benjamin was more practicle. "Put the tree outside."

In my heart I knew they were all in for a rude awakening. A jolt to their sugar plum dreams. It was only a matter of days before our tree came down.

Today it did. Whimsy was shoved into a box. Boxes were labeled with black marker. Tree skirts were rolled up and stockings were pulled down. It was a messy situation to be sure.

With teary eyes Callie watched me. "No, Momma. Santa won't be able to find us."

Grimacing at garland that just won't lay flat I mutter. "Santa does not come agian until next year."

"I don't want to put the tree down." She throws herself into a fit of New Year's remorse.

Stabbing my finger on something sharp I wince. "Callie, it will be safe downstairs. Next year we'll bring it back up again. Okay?"

"No!" She begins flailing limbs now. "I want the lights on."

Brushing brown spots I realize it is the same sweater I wore days before. Flames shot from the stove and my sweater glowed with embers. For a moment I was a holiday firework display.


"Really, Callie. Next year. Mommy's ready to put it away. Just until next year. Stop crying."

As empathy goes .... I think I was being kind. Putting the decorations up is a one girl job at my house. Besides, lighting myself on fire surely was enough holiday fun for us all.


Awww ... Memories!

Happy New Year 2008!

Check out my blog http://nowweregettingsomewhere.blogspot.com/

New Discussion Topic: C.S. Lewis and Philip Pullman



1 comments:

The Phamily Matriarch said...

Sorry to giggle...but I can just picture those sweet faces especially Callie's with it being so distraught about the tree coming down. LOL

You lit yourself on fire? Oh my! I gather you're fine...should I laugh at your firework display or gasp?

Jaclyn