Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Up on the Roof Top .....


This Christmas brought a gooey cookie happiness that I did not expect to receive. A gift of peace that thawed four and a half years of obsessed neuroticism. With it came a tender hopefulness that we are "luckier" than I imagined.

Laughter bounced off wooden floors and happy chatter echoed between the walls. Our living room became a hearth of warm merriment. The kind of happiness that melts your heart and makes your eyes shine.

Cookie crumbs and an empty milk glass waited for inspection by the tree. Twinkling lights made wrapped gifts sparkle. Stockings were stuffed with chocolate treats.

Callie shrieked with delight as she shared what she'd heard the
night before. "On the roof top I heard jingle bells. They were from the reindeer. I knew Santa would come."


A dozen candy canes hanging from tree branches captured Donovan's attention. "The elves are too short. Santa put them up there!"

Benjamin ripped paper from packages and stopped just once to yell, "Thanks, Santa!"

Not able to stop himself any longer he claimed the prize he had asked for especially in his letter. A miniature baby grand piano. It silently waited for him to play.

Donovan noticed a leftover cookie from Santa's visit. "Can I have the cookie Santa didn't eat?"

I just watched them in wonder. Their belief that anything is possible softened my thoughts. Believing in the joy of a magical world where Santa is the important leader, reindeer play games, elves love the work they do, and cookies are the main food group ... That sounds so pleasant and happy. A fantastic place I want to believe in too.

Sometimes life gets in the way and it is hard to believe in things we cannot see. Days filled with icy rain can leave us wondering if this is all there is . Watching my children dance around my feet causes me pause. There has to be more. A feeling of peace and warmth can only come from more.

M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S
H A P P Y H O L I D A Y S

Thanks so much to those of you who helped Christmas magic along. Cousin Carol asked Santa to send a special letter to our kids from the North Pole. Santa and his photographer, raising money for Lion's Club, were both wonderful. To everyone who sent a card, baked a cookie, or gave a surprise to boost my children's Christmas spirit ... Thank you.


They believe with all their hearts! You can tell by their faces. Without help .... it would be a hard love to pull off.



































































0 comments: