Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Snip Snip




Some parenting moments cause my eye to twitch in relentless spasms. Nerves start jumping discreetly in one corner. Before long my eyeball is uncontrollably ticking.




This phenomenon is linked to extreme stress. The kind of stress that happens when your beautiful daughter experiments with scissors. Acute stress resulting from damage only time can fix.

At 8 o'clock last night I pulled into our drive. Meetings at work kept me from tucking the kids in as I like to do. Goodnight kisses are on my list of beloved mommy duties.

Brett tucked the kids into bed at 7 o'clock, turned the hall light on for their comfort (as he has a habit of doing) and fell into bed himself. Working nights exhausts him. When possible he naps.


Callie likes to creep around the house after lights out. She explores, dabbles, and experiments. When caught she usually gets into some degree of trouble. After all ... our kids know sneaking around after being tucked in for the night is a big "NO NO".

Last night she found her way into our bedroom and through the obstacle course of my work related supplies. No sew blankets were made hours before in a craft class. Scissors were left on the floor in my blanket making kit. Gifts for the Parent Holiday Gathering were stacked in front of extra fleece. Beanie stuffed animals and hand/foot print cards stood in the front row. When I am working ... our bedroom can become a dangerous place to walk in the dark.

Somehow Callie managed to locate my scissors. In the dark ... by herself ... she also pretended to be a barber. Not a well trained one either. She snipped and cut until there were three piles of hair on the floor. White scalp streaked the center of her head with choppy black hair plowed on either side. By the time I went upstairs and investigated the pitter patter of little feet it was too late. Just one lone length of hair remained hanging down her back.

To say I was horrified is an understatement. In truth I was devastated. Truly ... my heart broke and I felt physically ill. Stroking the sheared piles of hair I desperately wondered if I could glue it together and make a toupee for Callie. All of that beautiful hair that took 4 and 1/2 years to grow .... gone with one fell swoop.

Today I walked around in a daze. Courageously I touched the wild edges of her hair left behind. After work I went to the store searching for a way to cover up the evidence. A friend suggested earrings .... another friend mentioned rogaine ... I settled on hats.

Tonight I held Callie on my lap. "Even though you did a very naughty thing by cutting your hair .... you are still a very beautiful girl. I would love you even if you were bald."

Callie hugged me. "Mommy I love you too even if you were wrong."

I studied her for one long moment. "What do you mean I was wrong?"

A kiss was planted on my cheek. "I try to do my best but am little ... and ..... make mistakes. you were mad but ..." She takes her hat off and studies her hair with a satisfied grin, "it is already growing."

What kind of response am I supposed to make to that?@!




*The picture captures one of three hair piles.

3 comments:

karinco said...

Is there some kind of 'kid's rule book' that says they must do these kind of 'experiments' within one week of a major holiday??

Oh goodness gracious momma I just want to cry for you. Obviously there are worse things to worry about but this is your little princess. And right before Christmas no less. *sigh*

Good thing Callie is too young to really be self concious. Hats are all the rage and there are some really cute ones out there.

I hope it all works out ok. If nothing else Callie will certainly learn a hard lesson about consequences and when it comes to 'cutting' things there are no 'do overs'

Karen

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Melissa. Oh my goodness.

But yes, she's still adorable!

Kara

Deanna said...

OH I am so sorry! At least the boys did not do it to her. That is what Miles did to Madyson and then told me she looked like him. I cried, and felt physically ill. I think I was more worried about her hair than the fact that he had cut her arm and it was bleeding. Which required a little glue from the hospital. And those where school safety scissors.

Deanna