Monday, November 19, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

When I was a little girl I knew there were some undeniable truths. Absolutes that no one questioned. In the safe world my parent created I knew somehow these sacred facts would always be.

*No matter what mischief I found myself in (and believe it - I could find trouble) my parents always ended the day with a kiss and I love you.

*Birthdays always came with a cake decorated by Mom, a party complete with gifts, and a mood of thanks and festivity.

*My brother could always be counted on to play with and tease me. (He cleverly came up with the nickname "Messy" for Melissa when we were toddling around. I still argue disorganization often points to creative genius)

*My baby sisters always thought I had the right answers. (This was not true ... they just thought it was. Even so .... thanks :)

*My closest friends would always be what I needed for them to be ... at the time I needed for them to be it.

*Money does not grow on trees but my parents somehow always had just enough to give me everything I needed and most things I wanted.

*Family nearby and across the country were always there to support and care about us because family is family.

*A golden turkey, stuffed with dressing, would bake in our oven Thanksgiving morning.

*Christmas gifts with my name on them would always wait prettily beneath the tree.

*Holidays were an occasion to express thanks for all of our blessings.

This Thanksgiving my brother and sister in law live across the country. At my parent's house this week our entire family will not gather together. Some new faces will join us...which we are thankful for. Faces we love and expect will be there too. However, Brandon and Tej will celebrate the holiday season on their own.

Savoring separate holiday dinners was not something I expected as a child. Never before was this an issue necessary to discuss. Our family ate Thanksgiving dinner together .... even if it was a few days before or after the actual holiday.

This year .... this is not to be. A fact that crumbled over time when childhood gave way to adult realities. An absolute that can no longer be taken for granted.

Happy Thanksgiving - to my brother and sis-in-law. We love you and hope your holiday is filled with sustenance, warmth, friendship, and new traditions.

Ben, Callie, and Donovan send their usual greetings. "Tell Uncle Brandon and Aunt Tej we love them and they need to come play with us."

Happy Thanksgiving to all of our family and friends. New babies will celebrate their first holiday season with proud parents. Our eldest family members will reminisce about past Thanksgivings. We will all over eat, laugh until our sides ache, and celebrate what is most important in our lives.

1 comments:

The Phamily Matriarch said...

Though you won't have your brother there to have your tradional Thanksgiving, I hope that a Happy Thanksgiving is had by you and your family.

~Jaclyn~