Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A Pocketful of Wonderful


Donovan is a collector. He picks up rocks, leaves, pinecones, and walnuts. Each natural treasure is tucked neatly into his pocket.

Once in a while he finds a flat space to stop and admire his findings. Gently he places each item in his palm. He turns it over and studies it. Then he pushes it away into a neat line.


“What are you doing?” I wonder out loud.

“I’m looking at these.” He points to his hand.

“You are carrying a lot of stuff in your pockets.”

He smiles at me and shakes his head. “I want to find more.”

“Tell me about all the cool things you’ve found.”

“Stick out your hand.” He places a sweet gum ball into my palm and closes my fingers around it.

“Ouch! The spines hurt.”

His smile widens. “Yes and this rock is smooth.”


I ruffle his hair. “The sweet gum ball is rough and the rock is smooth. That is exactly right.”

He stuffs his collection back into his pocket. “I’m going to find a worm.”

I watch him run off and realize how very proud I am. Donovan is so aware of his world. With an unquenchable curiosity he runs head first into the unknown and smiles while pulling me behind him.


November is Prematurity Awarenss Month. Every baby has a story. The March of Dimes celebrates healthy babies. This amazing organization also funds research to finds ways to stop birth defects, premature births, and infant death. Families are supported by March of Dimes NICU Family Support programs across the nation and online communities (now also in spanish) like shareyourstory.org. Every baby deserves a chance to grow and explore their world.

1 comments:

karinco said...

Melissa
Isn't it curious what our kiddos find to be treasures? I think it is wonderful that Donovan is exploring his world and discovering new treasures. (well...minus the slimy worms. eeew! )

Karen