Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Stuffed


Stuffed with turkey, dressing, and an abundance of assorted pies ... Wednesday through Sunday of Thanksgiving week left me thinking a lot about food.

During my extravagant holiday feasting some truths came out.

*It wasn't a secret to most. Those who thought it possible a Martha Stewart or Betty Crocker hid inside my kitchen pantry soon found out differently. No I did not make the scrumptious pecan pie that graced the dessert table. It was purchased the day before at a bakery. Next year I'll probably bring another one just like it. Thanks so much for your beautiful compliments though.


*My mom and sister baked soft pretzels one night. On the recipe card there was an arrow pointing to a comment -----> A kitchen aide makes things easier. I thought that was a brilliant idea. In fact that has been my problem with baking all along. Mom made me her kitchen aide. Eventually and happily I did catch on to forming the pretzel shape with rolled out dough.

*Eating turkey only makes grown ups fall asleep after dinner. My 3 kids age 4 ate their turkey dinners, took off their shirts, and began running around the living room. If only I had that kind of energy. After dinner it was asking a lot for me to move myself from the dining table to the sofa.


*Watching a football game after eating lots of food does alleviate feelings of eating remorse. Watching someone exercise is almost as good as exercising myself. LSU vs Arkansas went overtime too. That means I watched even more exercise than a typical football game. That has to be better. Right?! Absolutely!


*Somewhere I read that the average American eats 5 slices of pie a year. Well, they obviously do not have the exceptional cooks that are in my family. Easily I ate that much and more in 5 days. There were so many mouth watering pies to choose from: freshly baked apple caramel pie, freshly baked pumpkin pie, freshly baked strawberry pie, freshly baked chocolate pie, my store bought pecan pie, and my store bought apple pie. ***** These pies were eaten in Texas and Louisiana at our families' homes.*****

*I LOVE to cook and REALLY DON'T LIKE to bake. If I ask how a pie or other baked good was made ... just tell me the basic ingredients. I'm never going to attempt to make it. My husband and children prefer it that way. Pecan pie has pecans and Karo in it. Peach pie has peaches. That is all I really need to know. Second thought ... it is kind of silly for me to even ask. The ingredients I need to know are said in the pie's name.


Okay, I'm teasing quite a lot here.

The Barker and Middleton feasts were a sight to behold. I truly enjoyed every last morsel. Thanks so much for inviting us. It was well worth the 16 hour round trip with 3 kids age 4. We loved seeing everyone and I cannot compliment the chefs enough.


Now on Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, and Blitzen. It is time for sleigh bells to ring in another holiday.

3 comments:

The Phamily Matriarch said...

Sounds like y'all had a fantastically yummy Thanksgiving!

I HATE to cook and am really bad at it! LOL Billy does 99% of the cooking and cleaning. He so spoils me!

Awesome pictures of the kids! Are those here eyelashes that I can see a million miles away? Wow!

~Jaclyn~

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures of the kidlets! Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving. Oh, those pies sound just delish!!!!!

Hugs,
Tracy

Darcy @ m3b said...

Oh my, little Callie is looking so much lke her momma.

Thanks for the giggles about pie. I might only eat 5 slices a year, too. But I also eat them all the week of Thanksgiving. Eek.