Saturday, August 25, 2007

Tell Me My Fortune


When I was in college someone told my fortune. Maybe not such a strange thing for a Louisiana girl to do. It is almost a cultural rule to believe in ghosts, fortune tellers, and voodoo rituals.

Okay. Maybe not a rule. Many Louisianians do not believe in such things. To be honest, I don't believe in it either. Maybe it is one of the quirky and fun things about Louisiana culture. Sort of like Mardi Gras, Crawfish boils, and finding water moccasins beneath your sofa.

A wrinkled woman with missing teeth and a knotted walking stick read my cards. Tarot cards maybe? I dont' know ... she called them cards.

Okay. She was not wrinkled, toothless, nor did she use a walking stick. In fact she was middle age, pretty, and drinking a cup of coffee. She did not actually read cards either .... Fine. I'll admit it. She was just the run of the mill palm reader that sits along New Orleans streets hoping for a dollar to tell you something useless.

(Lousianians are also story tellers. That is also cultural. We like to spin a good yarn.)

This palm reader told me that I would have lots of children, live a happy life, and one day I'd be rich.

She did not tell me I'd give birth to 25 week quadruplets ... that my life would dramatically change... or that I would be poor before I ever became rich.

Because of this I think it is okay to say a wrinkled and toothless woman who used a knotted walking stick read my cards. It is a more interesting story to tell. That way ... I feel like I got my money's worth.

So what about my fortune? I think we have a definite hand in the fortunes we make. I don't need to pay someone a dollar to read their hand and tell me my future.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've missed hearung about your kidlets!!! Thanks for sending me the link :)
Donna

Anonymous said...

Melissa:

I am so so glad you started this blog...Thank you for making us a part of it. I love you MUCHO & the kids..your children are so beautifull & I loved how adorable Callie looks on her dress. Thanks for sharing with me. I am touched. Please keep on writting you are one of my inspiration.

Love to you always

Patty

Alex & Aderian's Mommy

Anonymous said...

Oh goody, goody, goody! :)

Soooo happy to see this blog.
-Darcy

Anonymous said...

Oh, Melissa! You've made my day. How I've missed reading your words and seeing pictures of your kidlets. Look how they've grown!!

Hugs -
Lori

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you started a blog somewhere and invited me to read it. I miss hearing about you and the kidlets. Thank you my friend. I can't wait to hear what has been going on in your life. I miss you.

Angi "Phoenix's mom"

Weerock said...

I gotta tell you...I think the fortune teller read your fortune dead-on perfect. :)

I'm so glad you've started this blog...I'll be able to keep up with you and your kidlets.

Denise

The Phamily Matriarch said...

Geez, did I ask the right question or what? And voila! A blog filled with pictures...you must have read my mind! LOL

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to read more and see more of your beautiful kidlets.

Jaclyn

karinco said...

I've never gone to a fortune teller...they are not nearly as trustworthy as my magic 8 ball!!