Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Falling Benjamin


Four year olds run on batteries that never expire. They run and jump ... swing and dance .... climb and tumble ... constantly. Their energy is instantly rechargeable.

At least it seems that way.

Lately I've spent many nights watching Benjamin fall asleep. It really is like watching someone fall. Relaxing goes against his nature.


Stopping inertia is painful. Like stomping your breaks causes tires to burn or an unreturned "I love you" breaks your heart. Abruptly ending something hurts.

Benjamin likes me to sing him to sleep. It impresses me that he asks for something he enjoys knowing it will result in something he dislikes ... sleeping, stopping, quieting down.

I sing a song about a little boy named Benjamin who likes looking up at the stars. He feels the wind in the air and watches moonlight dance in his hair. At the end of the song he admits he loves night time things ... even falling asleep.

It is a song I made up. Maybe it is not even very good. Still, it has an important word in it: Benjamin.

Each time I mention Benjamin in the song my sweet boy sighs a heavy sigh. Little by little he relaxes. Occasionally his chin trembles and I think he might cry. Before long he is playing with his curly hair and sucking his fingers. He sighs and trembles one last time and then he falls asleep.

I watch him as he begins to dream and I think how beautiful Benjamin is when he is moving and when he is still.


"You can't look at a sleeping cat and be tense."- Jane Pauley

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Benjamin looks so precious. And it works?!?!? I'll have to remember to make up a song about Nathaniel. He "done wanna go nigh-nigh Momma!" Glad to hear from you again Melissa, it's been too long. Thank you for sharing your family with me again. I've missed you friend!

~Jennifer

The Phamily Matriarch said...

Awww, I love that sleeping in the laundry basket picture. Now that's the life! LOL And to have mom sing you to sleep each night...gotta love it!

~Jaclyn~

Unknown said...

Heehee - this is SO Lorne. That child *refuses* to sleep until he is SO tired that he can no longer keep his eyes open. Forget about naps - that child gave those up months ago and he's still the last one to fall asleep!

I'm so glad you started this blog - it's so great to see the kidlets again!

Kara

Terri said...

Melissa, your story about Benjamin brought tears to my eyes. It was so sweet. Your children are so beautiful, inside and out. Love, Terri