Saturday, October 6, 2007

Security Breach


Lightening and thunder surrounded our home last night. Safely tucked into bed we did not notice. It was just rain, nothing more.

Stepping outside in the morning I wondered if something was missing. Our porch looked emptier. Shrugging, I helped our kids into the car.

Pulling out of our driveway I noticed a police officer standing beside a car with a busted window. Shattered glass littered the street. A distraught woman stood next to him with her arms crossed.

Nodding away curiosity I continued driving. The kids were dropped off at their schools and I arrived on time to work. It was a routine Wednesday.

Home again I meet Brett at the door. He works nights and sleeps during the day. Staring across the porch he pointed, “Do you notice something is missing?”

I shrug. “It looks like something is missing but …. Oh, no!” Gasping I point to the eerily empty place.

“Oh, yes!” Brett knelt beside a useless lock. “Someone stole the lawn mower.”

I exhale sharply. “Not again. This is the second time in five years. Crimminy!”

“They couldn't’t wait until winter. I still have a lawn that needs mowed.” Brett tosses the lock.

Instantly my thoughts wandered to my children and I suddenly felt vulnerable. Last night while we were sleeping someone came onto our porch and stole our mower. Lightening and thunder masked any bumps in the night.

Brett filed a police report. They mentioned there have been several reported thefts lately in our area. A patrolman would be sent to cover the area at night. Of course we’ll never get our mower back.

Forget the mower. I want my sense of security back.

It was scary enough when our mower was stolen from our garage before the kids were born. Mowers can be replaced. I want to know that my children
are always safe.

2 comments:

karinco said...

Well I certainly wasn't expecting to hear that! That is indeed scary as well as annoying.

I thought maybe a chair blew off your porch because of the storm and smashed your neighbor's car window. I swear when I read the lawnmower part I was still wondering how the wind could carry a heavy lawn mower all the way to your neighbor's car window! lol

Mike keeps our house like FT. Knox. Our doors and cars are always locked even when we are home. I also like the fact that we live on a cul-de-sac and we have loud dogs. I am glad the police will increase their patrols.
You might even check into starting a neighborhood watch program.

So sorry about your lawn mower. Hopefully since it is off-season you might find a sale.

The Phamily Matriarch said...

Oh no! How horrible! I agree that your mower can be replaced, but to be so close to your children and yourself...how scary. Thank God that you all were unharmed and that they were only after materialistic items.

Stay safe,
Jaclyn