Saturday, October 6, 2007

Callie Sized



Running behind on a list of errands I stopped at school to pick up Callie. My watch said 2:30. The schedule taped to the wall reads “snack time”.

Confidently I walk to Callie’s classroom and knock on the door. “I’m here to pick up Callie.”

The teacher presents me with a pretty Asian girl also named Callie. “Here she is.”

I kindly smile into the girl’s startled eyes. “She is adorable but she’s not mine. Where is my Callie?”

Trying to appear in control the teacher hides an embarrassed gasp. “Well, this is the only Callie I have …”

This is not Callie’s regular teacher. I shove down an immediate feeling of annoyance and try again. “Callie Middleton is in this classroom. She’s my daughter. Maybe she’s still taking a nap. Is there another room where the children sleep?”

A small girl offers a loud “ah-ha” and looks very grown up. “You mean the little Callie. She is a napper. We, in here, are no-nappers.”

“Oh, yes!” Recovering, the teacher offers an apologetic smile. “Your daughter is down the hall. Turn left into the room beside the office, and you’ll find her.”

I assured her it was an honest mistake and everything was fine.

When I find Callie she runs into my arms and hugs my neck. “Hi, Momma!”

“Hi, Sweetie.”

She kisses my cheek. “Momma, where is Donovan?”

“Well, Callie I picked him up earlier. He is sick.”

She wraps her legs around my waist and insists I carry her.

I can tell she is upset Donovan is not with her. Knowing this I still address my concern over her classmates identifying her by size. “Your friends tell me you’re “Little Callie”.

Tossing her pigtails she sympathetically pats me on the head. She giggles. “No way. I’m “Big Callie”.

I stand corrected and admire my daughter’s spunk.

2 comments:

karinco said...

Oh goodness, my heart just went in my stomach thinking she mistakingly went home with the other Callie's mom! Glad she is safe and sound. Yay for naps!

I'm sure Domonique will also be known as the little one. I bet if we lived on a reservation she would be known as 'Little girl with big name'! lol

Anonymous said...

Oh she believes she's the Big girl! How sweet!!

I'm glad she was found and was waiting for you, wondering where Dominique was.

When Taylor was little and in daycare, I went to pick her up and was handed the wrong child and they shut the door. I had to knock again and get my child. I was a bit distraught wondering if they handed my daughter to someone they didn't know and shut the door. Scary!!

Hugs to your big girl!!
Hugs to you!
Sharlene