Sunday, September 16, 2007

Carousel

Callie chooses a tiger to ride. “Look at me, I’m on the carousal!”

She waves one hand and bobs her pigtails. “Hey, boys! What are you riding?”

Donovan and Benjamin are chatting with heads close together. They sit on a peacock bench next to Brett. Donovan peeks over at Callie but offers no response.

“Hey, boys? Look at me!” She waves both hands in the air and bounces on her tiger.

I remind her with a wink. “Callie, you have to sit still with both hands on the pole.”

“You stand there. Take your hands off my pole. Please. I want to ride by myself.” Callie plucks my fingers from her waist.

Doubtfully I look at her tiny frame on the giant tiger. “What if you fall?”

“I won’t fall.”

“But what if you do?”


“I won’t.”

“Okay.” I slowly let go.

The music turns on and the announcer says, “Welcome to the Endangered Species Carousel. Stay on your ride at all times. Do not switch animals. Hold onto the pole. When the bell rings twice this means the ride is starting. Enjoy.”

Brring. Brrring.

The carousel begins turning to the Banana Boat (Day Oh) Song.

Come Mr. Tallyman, tally me bananas!
Daylight come and I want to go home.

Smiling, Callie waves to strangers who wave to their children. “This is great! Got my zebra, Mom?”

I look down at her toy zebra. She’ll soon forget about it. Another cheap piece of plastic to bring home. “Yes, silly monkey. I have your zebra.”


“Silly monkey? I’m not a silly monkey.”

“You’re not? Are you a silly goose?”

Giggling she bounces around while still holding onto the pole. “You bet I’m a silly goose.”

“Okay silly goose … the ride is slowing down. Wait for both bells before jumping into my arms.”

“Jumping like a silly rabbit.”

I laugh. “More likely tackling me like a silly Callie.”

“Yeah.”

Brring. Brrring.


The next time they rode the carousel .... everyone rode their own animal.

3 comments:

The Phamily Matriarch said...

I want to go next time...sounds like oodles and oodles of fun!

Such an independent little missy, isn't she?

Such cute darlings.

~Jaclyn~

Weerock said...

Melissa -
Your kids are getting so big! Pigtails on Callie? Wow - they've grown.

So cute.

Denise

Anonymous said...

Hello:

Melissa:

The kidlets are beautiful & they have grown. I always enjoy hearing about your precious family. Although It has been a while I hope you have NOT forgotten about alex, Adrin & I. We love you very much & the kidlets. Thank you for beign such an inspiration. Hugs & Kisses to you from here & from heaven.

Patty

Alex & Adrian's Mommy
My Vanilla Puddin' Alexander