Friday, May 23, 2008

Our Anniversary

Last weekend Brett and I went out (without children). Gasp! I know!
We have not been out on a single date (outside the home) for a year. Gasp again. I know.

Our sitter brought crafts for the kids to do. They painted aprons. She took pictures. Each hand painted child stashed said pictures into their apron pocket. No one has seen them since. (The pictures not the children.)



On our celebratory date night (celebrating our anniversary) we had reservations at a swanky restaurant downtown. Very nice. There were no scary clowns handing out twisted balloon animals. Our meal did not come with a cheap toy. In fact there were no straws, paper napkins/bags or children's menus. Seriously. Children were not allowed!



There was candlelight, soft classical background music, a simple but elegant menu and a fully stocked bar. Supposedly the restaurant is haunted. The only premonitions I had (okay, wistful daydreams) was living in such a pretty, well maintained and very old house.



Conversation beyond parenting and our children was challenging at first. These days this is so much of who we are ... "Did you register the kids for school today?" "I can't until you get me a copy of their immunizations." "Awwww, right! Ben fell on the air vent again." "Did he ask for a band aid?" "Of course!"



When I reached across the table, illuminated by candle light, I grasped the hand of my husband. Someone I have known for twelve years. Whom I've been married to for eight. Someone who has moved with me through some very good and bad times. A wonderful husband and father. Someone I look forward to growing old with .....



Brett .... "P.S. I Love you!"



2 comments:

karinco said...

Melissa
Wishing you and Brett all the best and many wonderful years to come. Isn't it great to get a night out? I still cherish the night Mike took me to a restaraunt without sawdust on the floor. Pure bliss!

I still have to catch up on Benjamin's blog but my eyes are veddy, veddy, heavy right now. I can't wait to read it!

Karen

The Phamily Matriarch said...

Happy Belated Anniversary.

I'm glad y'all got to spend a quiet evening together. I chuckled at your "conversation lull"...we have those too when we have those oh so rare moments alone. LOL

~Jac~