Saturday, October 13, 2007

Parenting Truths


When asked why I never share how hard parenting is with new parents, I laugh. Often I respond that it is against the rules to share this information with anyone other than parents. What parents know could end the continuation of our species.

I say this in fun because I empathize with parents. Being a parent is not exactly like the diaper and formula commercials on television. Around the clock feedings and fussy babies are exhausting. Parents have to change their lives to appease their baby’s schedule. .

However, there is a far more important secret of parenthood. Unless you are a parent it is likely you will remain unmoved after hearing it. I will tell it anyway.

The truth of parenting reveals itself when you tuck your children in at night.

Our bedtime rituals mend my tired spirit and give me time to reflect on what is good in my life. After baths is when I am in parental bliss. It is our family’s quiet time together.

With two children in my lap and a child sitting beside me I feel like this is the only place I need to be. I bury my nose into freshly shampooed hair and help brush pearly white teeth. Unasked for kisses and hugs are liberally given by my clean and happy three.

We read story books together. First readers are read to me. Songs are sung and nursery rhymes are recited.

Being a mother or a father is not easy. As with anything worthwhile it can be challenging. Having children provides a way for adults to see as children do, but with the insight of being grown up. Parenting is an opportunity we seize to grow even more.

Tucking my children safely into bed and kissing their noses … for me this is happiness. It is a promise of unconditional love and the sacred privilege of parenthood. For the rest of my days I cannot aspire to be more fulfilled than this.


The picture is of Donovan when he was 6 months old. Awwwwww, those days seem a long time ago.

0 comments: