Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"Horse Day"


Benjamin calls himself a horse rider, a cowboy, and a little cowpoke. Choosing names is fun but cannot truly capture the wonder of seeing my tiny boy riding on top of a giant horse.

These gentle horses are used in Hippa Therapy at Coffeeville Stables. Benjamin look forward to going once a month on Tuesday. Volunteers encourage him to work on fine and gross motor skills while building his self confidence.

Today is "Horse Day" ... the first time he'll go this school year.

My happy guy runs full speed into my bedroom. He harpoons himself onto my bed. Groaning I glance at the clock. It is six. Morning really *does* come too quickly.

"Momma! I ride horses today. Let's go! I need my cowboy boots and my horse riding shirt."

Brett yawns and we both get up. Yesterday was Labor Day today is a work day. Still, we cannot help grinning when we see Ben's bright face.

"Good Morning, Sunshine" We follow him to his bedroom.

Ben is practically skipping. "I get to ride the bus!"

Donovan and Callie,who are not nearly as excited that Ben gets to ride horses and the bus, sigh while sitting quietly on the floor.

Riding the yellow bus is also very special. "Horse Day" is Ben's one chance each month to ride. This morning the bus driver will pick Ben, his classmate, and teacher up at school, take them to Coffeville Stables, and then safely return them to school this afternoon. I'll be waiting for their scheduled arrival.

Riding the bus or a horse is easy for Ben. He shows no fear.
My parenting mantra has always been,
"You can do it but first you have to try."
There will be many "Horse Days" I'll meet Ben at the stables and cheer from the sidelines. That is a perk of being a parent. Little else feels as wonderful as seeing your child succeed.

3 comments:

The Phamily Matriarch said...

To be so excited and chipper in the wee hours of morning...shouldn't we all? LOL

What a great therapy session for Benjamin! He looks so cute and so "professional".

Too sweet.
Jaclyn

karinco said...

How exciting!!! I have been afraid of horses ever since one drove me right into a tree branch. I think they sense my fear and snicker at me! lol

Good for Ben!! It just warms my heart that he is so super excited about it.

Anonymous said...

I came back to hear how horse day went. Eager for more!

-Darcy